Saturday, July 02, 2005

Bernice Makes a Point

Bernice said (comment June 30, 2005):

I figure the Bible is like Canadian Whiskey. Some like it. Some never touch it. You can't really predict the reaction. Some can take great quantities and be fine. Some take a sip and lose their minds. Some get sleepy. Some get agitated. Some get really talkative and you want to punch them in the mouth. Some want to push you to drink with them. Some don't care at all about you drinking. Some people live for it. Some people just do it for social reasons and make a big show about it. Some people just do it themselves in private.

Being Canadian, I appreciated the analogy, and the fine turn of phrase.

It took me awhile to think this through. Not that I haven't heard this kind of comment before but, being a Bible fan, I wanted to say, "You're wrong. The Bible is something everyone should read." That, of course, would be narrow-minded, what with all the other holy books out there, not to mention mantras and self-help volumes by Dr. Phil.

The hardest task for a Bible fan is to explain why anyone should choose it first. I mean, I could talk about the fact that it has survived centuries of attack to remain a bestseller even in 2005. I could tell you about all the amazing things in it. I could share a few really great stories from it.

But none of this sets it apart from the rest except for one thing - I believe it's a voice from God, and to me it doesn't seem like a good idea just to ignore a voice from God.

Let me make you a suggestion, Bernice. You've expressed yourself eloquently, but you do admit that some people actually read it, even if you haven't. Before you decide you don't like Canadian Whiskey, why don't you take a sip? In my next post I'll suggest a way to read the Bible in less than an hour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home